Guidelines for Third Party Use of SimSimi Brand Features
Use of SimSimi Brand Features
Although we would like to accommodate all the requests we receive from users who want to add a touch of SimSimi to their sites, we are passionate about protecting the reputation of our brand as an objective and fair provider of search results. That means we have to turn down many requests because sites imply that SimSimi is endorsing them or is otherwise affiliated with them. The same applies if SimSimi's trademarks, logos, web pages, screen shots or other distinctive features ("SimSimi Brand Features" or "Brand Features") are associated with objectionable material, as determined by SimSimi.
As a result, we require that you have SimSimi's explicit written permission before using any SimSimi Brand Features. These Brand Features can be used only pursuant to these Guidelines, our Terms and Conditions and for the specific purposes for which SimSimi has given permission. If you have a written agreement with SimSimi that specifically addresses how you may use its Brand Features, you do not need to go through the approval process here unless you want to do something other than what has been authorised in your existing agreement. Otherwise, the only time you can use Brand Features without advance written permission is if there is clear and express language on our website stating that you can use those Brand Features without first obtaining permission.
When you use any of our Brand Features, you must always follow the Rules for Proper Use included in these Guidelines. In addition, SimSimi Inc. may provide you with written requirements as to the size, typeface, colours and other graphic characteristics of the SimSimi Brand Features. If we provide these requirements to you at the time of our approval, you must implement them before using our Brand Features. If we provide these requirements to you after we initially gave our permission, you must implement them within a commercially reasonable timeframe.
To request approval, complete the Permission Request Form and send it to us with the information specified in the form. Although, we will try to reply within 10 business days, we cannot guarantee that, and you cannot use SimSimi Brand Features until we have expressly granted you approval.
The approval to use SimSimi Brand Features is limited to the information provided in your request. If your anticipated use changes, before or after, SimSimi grants approval, you must update your request accordingly.
Please note that we can only give you permission to use the SimSimi Brand Features. We cannot give you permission to use any brand features belonging to third parties.
What is a trademark?
A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device (or a combination thereof) that identifies the goods or services of a person or company and distinguishes them from the goods and services of others. A trademark assures consumers of consistent quality with respect to those goods or services and aids in their promotion.
Why is it important to use marks correctly?
Rights to a trademark can last indefinitely if the owner continues to use the mark to identify its goods and services. If trademarks are not used properly, they may be lost and one of the company's most important assets may lose all of its value. Rights may be lost not only because of a trademark owner's improper use of the mark, but through improper use of the trademark by the public.
Rules for Proper Use
Things to do:
- If you are using a SimSimi trademark, distinguish the trademark from the surrounding text in some way. Capitalise the first/third letter, capitalise or italicise the entire mark, place the mark in quotes, use a different type style or font for the mark than for the generic name.
- If you do not capitalise the entire mark, always spell and capitalise the trademark exactly as they are shown in the SimSimi Trademarks and Suggested Accepted Generic Terms below.
- Use the trademark only as an adjective, never as a noun or verb and never in the plural or possessive form.
- Use a generic term following the trademark..
- Use only SimSimi-approved artwork when using SimSimi's logos.
- If you are using a SimSimi logo on a web page, there must exist a minimum spacing of 25 pixels between each side of the logo and other graphic or textual elements on your web page.
- Normally, an unregistered SimSimi Brand Feature should be followed by the superscripted letters TM or SM to give notice that the company claims trademark rights in the term. A registered SimSimi Brand Feature should be followed by the symbol ® to identify the term as a registered trademark. In advertising copy, notice of trademark rights may be provided in a footnote format – e.g., by placing an asterisk adjacent to the SimSimi Brand Feature and placing an appropriate notice at the bottom of the page on which the asterisk appears.
Things You Cannot Do
- One of the conditions for all uses is that you cannot mess around with our marks. Only we get to do that. Do not remove, distort or alter any element of a SimSimi Brand Feature. That includes modifying a SimSimi trademark, for example, through hyphenation, combination or abbreviation, such as:
- Do not display a SimSimi Brand Feature as the most prominent element on your web page.
- Do not display a SimSimi Brand Feature in any manner that implies a relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship or endorsement by SimSimi or that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest that editorial content has been authored by or represents the views or opinions of SimSimi or SimSimi personnel.
- Do not display a SimSimi Brand Feature on any web site that contains or displays adult content, promotes gambling, involves the sale of tobacco or alcohol to persons under twenty-one years of age or otherwise violates applicable law.
- Do not display a SimSimi Brand Feature in a manner that is in SimSimi's sole opinion misleading, unfair, defamatory, infringing, libellous, disparaging, obscene or otherwise objectionable to SimSimi.
- Do not display a SimSimi Brand Feature on a site that violates any law or regulation.
- Do not frame or mirror any SimSimi page (including the page that appears in reply to a click on the SimSimi logo or SimSimi search box).
- Do not incorporate SimSimi Brand Features into your own product name, service names, trademarks, logos or company names.
- Do not copy or imitate SimSimi's trade dress, including the look and feel of SimSimi web design properties or SimSimi brand packaging, distinctive colour combinations, typography, graphic designs, product icons or imagery associated with SimSimi
- Do not adopt marks, logos, slogans or designs that are confusingly similar to our Brand Features.
- Do not register SimSimi trademarks as second-level domain names.
- Do not use SimSimi trademarks in a way that suggests a common, descriptive or generic meaning.
- Trademark rights vary from country to country. Some countries have severe criminal and civil penalties for improper use of the registration symbol. Therefore, do not use the registration symbol (®) in countries where the mark has not been registered.